If you’ve read our article on knowing when it’s time to replace your garage door, then you may currently be in the market for a new garage door. And while you may not be giving it much thought, buying a garage door can actually be pretty tricky. This is especially true if you’re trying to get the best garage doors possible as there are different factors you will need to take into consideration.
To help you out in your search for a new garage door, we thought it would be useful to put together an article discussing what you should be taking into account when buying a new garage door. If this is something that you’re interested in knowing more about, read on for a brief discussion on the most important things you need to consider when buying a garage door.
Garage Door Style
When it comes to garage doors, aesthetics are incredibly important. Since you’ll be seeing it on a daily basis, you’ll want to make sure that the door matches the style of the rest of your home. Failing to get a garage door with a style that fits in with the overall look of your home can cause that area of your house to look jarring and out of place. Here are the three most common garage door styles that you’ll likely be choosing from:
- Traditional: These garage doors are the ones that you typically see in most houses. The most recognizable feature common among all the doors that subscribe to this style is their rectangular panels. While these doors may seem rather bland, they are highly customizable. This makes them a good option for just about any house as you customize them to fit in with the rest of your home.
- Contemporary: Many homes have adopted a modern aesthetic so it makes sense that there is a garage door style that has adopted modern design sensibilities. Contemporary garage doors feature asymmetrical details that are common in modern architecture. These types of garage doors also allow for a lot of natural light due to the way their windows are designed.
- Carriage: If you’re looking for something a little more old school, then carriage garage doors might be right for you. These doors adopt a traditional design that takes inspiration from the farmhouse and rustic aesthetic. Despite how traditional they look, you can equip these doors with just about any modern function that is available to overhead garage doors.
Aside from the style of the garage doors, you’ll also want to ensure that they are made of the right type of material. “Right”, in this case, refers to your needs and personal preferences. Here are a few of the most popular garage door materials:
- Steel: Steel is unsurprisingly one of the more popular materials used for garage doors due to its unparalleled durability. Steel garage doors are also pretty affordable, which makes them a good option if you’re working with a tight budget.
- Wood: Wood is an elegant material to use for garage doors and can really enhance the look of your home. However, they are quite pricey and are expensive to maintain. A good compromise would be to use faux wood as it gives you the natural look of wood, at a more accessible price point.
- Aluminum and Glass: Aluminum and glass are usually used for contemporary garage doors. Aside from their unique look, garage doors made of this material are also resistant to rust. With that being said, they are less durable than steel garage doors.
While this may be a lot to take in, we suggest that you take the time to really think things through when it comes to your choice of garage doors for your home. Feel free to look back on this article when you’re in the process of buying a new garage door so you can make the most informed decision possible.
If you’re looking to install your residential garage doors, then you’ve come to the right place. Capable One Door & Gate Services Ltd is specialized in overhead door service for commercial and residential use. We guarantee you will receive the best service in the Lower Mainland & Fraser Valley, hassle-free!